PE & Sport
At Shavington Primary School, we strive to be the best we can be!
We are a competitive sporting school. We engage in many different sporting clubs and competitions. Our children take part in internal school competitions as well as being offered the opportunities to take part in community, local events.
We believe that all children should have the opportunity to enjoy and achieve within Physical Education. The curriculum is planned to the calendar of competitions we partake in throughout the year, in order to develop the children’s skills to give them the best possible chance to succeed in these competitions. Lessons are designed to develop the fundamental physical skills in KS1, then continue to build on these, year on year.
Within lessons children will have the opportunity to participate in individual or team activities, which will continue to develop a range of social skills and enable the development of teamwork. Children will have the opportunity to take part in competitive scenarios within lessons, in preparation for Inter, or Intra- school competitions.
We are committed to ensuring every child gets the chance to practise and develop their skills in a range of traditional and non-traditional sports to give them the best possible chance to find a sport that they enjoy and may excel in. Every child deserves to experience an appropriate level of challenge regardless of their current knowledge and ability in that sporting area. Lessons are designed with this in mind, as we want to encourage and inspire a life-long love of physical activity.
We aim for children to develop life transferable skills, and to understand the importance of regular physical activity on our physical and mental wellbeing. Through P.E lessons children will build self-confidence and increase levels of self-esteem as they develop their own independence and resilience to challenges.
We follow the Government’s National Curriculum for Physical Education. Each child is timetabled to have 2 hours of physical activity each week. Every half-term two different sports are taught within each year group, these are geared towards the competition calendar in order to develop the skills needed to participate in these. We will also offer a wide range of clubs in order to give the children the chance to experience a wide range of differing sports.
We employ Premier sports coaches to deliver our PE curriculum.
The sports coaches work with our children from year 1 to year 6. All children have two PE lessons a week. In KS1 the coaches deliver one lesson and class teachers deliver the other. In KS2 sports coaches deliver both. Our teachers work collaboratively with the coaches to plan and deliver the PE curriculum.
We will learn to set our own personal goals and reflect like the Tortoise to self-evaluate our own performance and how we can improve.
We will learn to problem solve and take risks like the resourceful Beaver in order to overcome any obstacles to improve our performance.
We will learn to work as a team like the Ant in order to get the most out of ourselves and our teammates.
We will learn to be resilient like the Rhino taking risks and showing courage during difficult times and how to persevere in order to improve our performance.
At Shavington primary school, we aim to provide high quality teaching ensuring all children participate in fun and engaging lessons. It is expected that all P.E lessons are safe and well-planned for the progression and involvement of all pupils. This will be monitored by the Subject Leader and SLT. The high quality lessons will ensure children leave year 6 having:
- Mastered basic fundamental movements including running, jumping, throwing and catching, as well as developing balance, agility and co-ordination, and begin to apply these in a range of activities.
- Engaged in competitive (both against self and against others) and co-operative physical activities.
- Able to use running, jumping, throwing and catching in isolation and in combination
- Played competitive games, modified where appropriate, and apply basic principles suitable for attacking and defending
- Developed flexibility, strength, technique, control and balance through athletics and gymnastics.
- Performed dances using a range of movement patterns.
- Taken part in outdoor and adventurous activity challenges both individually and within a team.
- Self-evaluated- compare their performances with previous ones and demonstrate improvement to achieve their personal best.
- Taught to swim competently, confidently and proficiently over a distance of at least 25 metres, using a range of strokes effectively.
- To be able to perform safe self-rescue in different water-based situations.
|PE policy.docx||07th Jun 2021||Download|
|Athletics Learning Outcomes||07th Jun 2021||Download|
|Dance Learning Outcomes||07th Jun 2021||Download|
|Gymnastics Learning Outcomes||07th Jun 2021||Download|
|Invasion Games Learning Outcomes||07th Jun 2021||Download|
|Multi Skills Learning Outcomes||07th Jun 2021||Download|
|Net Wall Learning Outcomes||07th Jun 2021||Download|
|Striking Fielding Learning Outcomes||07th Jun 2021||Download|