Ascend Resource Provision
Ascend Resource Provision 2021 - 2022
Mrs Thomas Class Teacher
Miss Baker- Teaching assistant
Mr Maloney -Teaching assistant
Mr King-Teaching assistant
Miss Lynch - Teachng assistant
Miss Brock SENCO
What is Ascend Resource Provision?
At Shavington Primary School we are passionate about promoting inclusion for children with Special Educational Needs. In addition to our mainstream classes we have a 12 place Additionally Resourced Provision (often referred to as an RP). This Resource Provision is for children who have a diagnosis of Autism or have a proven need for access to learning startegies that typically support learners with Autistic Spectrum Condition. friendly Pupils who access Ascend are on roll in a mainstream class and spend some time there each week according to their needs and abilities. Children in Ascend RP all have Education Health Care Plans (EHCPs) and require additional support to that typically available in mainstream classrooms. They access some of their learning in our dedicated Resource provision area.
What facilities are available in Ascend RP?
As well as access to staff with an enhanced understanding of the learning needs of children with Autistic Spectrum Condition we also have a dedicated, low distraction base which includes:
Its own entrance
A kitchen area
A classroom with individual learning bays to minimize distraction
A social skills room
A sensory room / calming space
An outside play area
What is different about learning in Ascend RP?
Our aim is to create a calm, happy and structured environment in which children feel secure and can develop their skills. As well as developing their academic skills, a major focus is teaching social communication, emotional regulation and social skills in context. We deliver all aspects of the National Curriculum by adapting mainstream plans. We also emphasise the development of fine and gross motor skills, communication and social skills and provide enrichment activities which support the development of life skills (eg. Cooking).
How can my child access Ascend RP?
Referrals for admission to Ascend come from the Local Authority. If you are interested in accessing a place within Ascend Resource Provision you should contact the local authority on email@example.com. Any referrals will then be considered by the school's SENCo and the Headteacher at Shavington Primary School to ensure that the following criteria are met:
- Age range Year 1 to Year 6.
- All children must have an Education Health Care Plan.
- The primary need identified on the EHCP must be Autsitic Spectrum Condition. Census records would be expected to record the primary need as ASD.
- There will be clear evidence of the involvement of professionals with experience of Autism
- There will be an indication that the provision of autism friendly strategies improves the child's progress.
- There must be clear evidence that the child's cognitive ability shows some areas within the low average range or above. Pupils performance in English or Maths should indicate the potential to achieve at least Pre Key Stage Standard 3 at Key Stage 1 and Pre Key Stage 5 at Key Stage 2.
- Pupils will have the ability to communicate verbally without full reliance on communication aids. They may require the use of some visuals to support commmunication and have speech therapy support programmes.
- The child must be able to access some learning within the mainstream classroom on a daily basis.
Admission will not be agreed if:
- Home / parents are not in agreement of the strategies used at the school and are not willing to support these at home.
- Admission of the child would compromise the health and safety of pupils or staff within the school.
- Admission of the pupil would compromise or disrupt the education of pupils already in attendance.
- The agreed number of funded places by the Local Authority is fully subscribed and admitting children over this number would be incompatible with the efficient education of other pupils or the efficient use of resources.
- Siblings are not automatically admitted to the Resource Provision.